20 Dec Picking an Accent Wall Color
What is an accent wall?
Picking an accent wall.
- Furniture: In a bedroom, the highlight wall is often the wall behind the headboard. However, there are always exceptions depending on the architectural features of the room.
- Features: Is there a prominent feature of the room you’d like to highlight by painting it a different color? For example, the wall of a fireplace can serve as a great accent wall.
- Configuration: Is there a prominent wall in the room that draws the eye before any other? That is often the case with contemporary homes where you might see more angular wall configurations.
- The accent wall should contrast the other wall colors – but not clash.
- Go big or go home. If you’re going to do an accent wall, you might as well go bold and select a color that’s a sharp contrast to the other wall color.
- If you need inspiration, look at the room’s soft furnishings. You might be able to pull a color from a throw pillow, curtain, or sofa.
- Another idea is to take the current wall color and go several shades darker. This keeps on in the same color family, so there’s no clashing.
Mike Katounas is the owner of Home Works Painting, a painting business in Northern Virginia. He has over 15 years of experience in residential interior and exterior painting, drywall installation/repair, carpentry, wallpaper removal, power washing, commercial painting, color consultation, and staining/sealing. Their service areas include Chantilly, Fairfax, Herndon, Oakton, Reston. Mike takes pride in his work, and he always follows a strict code of conduct that includes the use of quality paint, a clean workspace, and an honest, respectful approach to his customers.