31 Dec New Year’s Checkup
As 2018 draws to a close, it’s a good time to assess what projects you might want or need to line up for 2019. Interior and exterior painting, minor as well as significant repairs, regular maintenance, and general upkeep are all good things you should be considering and (hopefully) tackling in the early months of 2019. We wish you a happy and healthy 2019!
- Do a walk around the exterior of your home to identify any touch-up painting or minor repairs needed.
- Wood rot, in particular, needs to be addressed. A little wood rot ignored can quickly spiral into an expensive repair job.
- Inside, look for sheetrock cracks because they sometimes they indicate a much bigger problem.
- It’s a good idea to keep up with paint touch-ups to keep your home’s interior paint job looking fresh.
- If your windows are wood, check for flaking paint or wood rot.
- Weather permitting, it’s a good time to do regular maintenance on your home – both inside and out.
- Any time from late winter through early summer is an ideal time to professionally pressure wash driveways, paths, exterior walls, and wood decks. Regular pressure-washing helps reduce the likelihood of certain mold and mildew growth and damage of surfaces.
- Keep spiderwebs and other creatures in check on your home’s exterior and look for any evidence of intrusion into attic or crawl spaces.
- Check the integrity of weather stripping at all exterior doors to help keep cold drafts out.
- Check that all exterior lights are working correctly.
Mike Katounas is the owner of Home Works Painting, a painting business in Northern Virginia. He has over 15 years of experience in residential interior and exterior painting, drywall installation/repair, carpentry, wallpaper removal, power washing, commercial painting, color consultation, and staining/sealing. Their service areas include Chantilly, Fairfax, Herndon, Oakton, Reston. Mike takes pride in his work, and he always follows a strict code of conduct that includes the use of quality paint, a clean workspace, and an honest, respectful approach to his customers.