10 Dec Have you winterized yet?
I think we can all agree that winter has arrived in Northern Virginia! If you haven’t winterized your home yet, you’ll want to do it as soon as possible! Waiting to do it could mean a burst pipe and significant damage to your home.
Here are a few tips on how to winterize your Northern Virginia home.
- Protect pipes and waterline:
- By late fall, you should have turned off and drained all your outdoor faucets and moved hoses indoors for the winter. This helps prevent your pipes from bursting when temperatures go below freezing. Keep in mind that all outdoor pipes or faucets need to be winterized appropriately and, in some cases, insulated for the season. Typically, you will want to insulate any pipes/faucets that are above ground and away from the house. The same goes for outdoor showers.
- Heating system service maintenance:
- Ideally, you have a service contract with an HVAC contractor for regular maintenance. Before each summer and then again before winter hits are good times to have your HVAC system serviced.
- Winterize your windows:
- If you have old windows that aren’t double-paned, you’re losing energy during winter and summer. If you can’t replace your windows for energy-efficient ones, try a window insulator kit. Check your windows and doors for air leaks. You can use a lit incense stick. If you see that the smoke is sucked out at a window or door, you’ll need to seal the leak with caulk, weather-stripping, or spray foam.
- Pretreat walkways:
- If we’re expecting ice, it’s a good idea to go ahead and pretreat walkways around your home the evening before a hard freeze to reduce risks.
- If you have a wood-burning fireplace you use regularly, it’s a good idea to have it and the chimney inspected and cleaned annually to avoid the risk of fire.
- Gutters and drains:
- House gutters and drains should be cleaned out once all the leaves have fallen. Ensure that any melted snow or ice can flow freely through the gutters and drain pipes.
Lastly, winter is a great time to bring us in for interior paint and minor repair projects. Give us a call to schedule an appointment for your free estimate!