22 Feb Project Profile: Transformation with Wainscoting and Paint
Posted at 14:00h in Uncategorized 0 Comments
The transformative power of paint and new wainscoting is evident in an Ashburn, Virginia project we completed recently! We repainted several bedrooms and added beautiful wainscoting to the home’s staircase. These changes gave the spaces a whole new look and feel.
The clients hired us to repaint several bedrooms, the hallway and add wainscoting to the stairway’s walls. Relatively simple changes created a significant difference in the overall look. As we said, this project is an excellent example of the transformative power of paint and wainscoting. Here’s what we did:
- Painted ceiling (1 coat to match existing color), including repair of water damage
- Painted walls (2 coats), including priming over blue paint
- Painted baseboards and door frames (1 coat to match existing color)
- painted ceiling (1 coat to match existing color)
- Painted walls (2 coats), including priming walls and repairing drywall on the wall to the right from
- Painted entry door
- Painted baseboards/door frames (1 coat to match existing color)
- Installed craftsman-style wainscoting along the stairway and painted
For this project we worked with Benjamin Moore paints:
- Paint – Benjamin Moore (Interior)
- Walls: Regal Select, flat, matte, or eggshell
- Ceilings: Waterborne or Super Hide Ceiling White, flat
- Trim/Doors: Regal Select, semi-gloss (Trim included baseboards, window/door casing)
Professional preparation of the surface material before we paint is critically important to the paint’s integrity and how long it lasts. Our typical prep includes (but isn’t limited to, depending on the needs of the project):
- All furnishing and floors will be covered and protected.
- All stress cracks and nail pops will be repaired with fiberglass joint tape, blocked, skimmed, and sanded.
- Glossy surfaces and trim will be sanded and cleaned as needed to assure proper paint adhesion.
- Scrape and sand rough areas due to previous paint failure.
- Caulk all wood trim work as necessary.
- Apply an oil-based sealer to water stains and tannin wood stains.
- Work areas will be cleaned up, and debris will be taken away.
If you would like us to look at your paint project and provide you with a free, no-obligation estimate, please contact us to schedule an appointment. We’ve been painting homes across Northern Virginia for almost 20-years and take pride in our professionalism and expertise.
Mike Katounas is the owner of Home Works Painting, a painting business in Northern Virginia. He has over 15 years of experience in residential interior and exterior painting, drywall installation/repair, carpentry, wallpaper removal, power washing, commercial painting, color consultation, and staining/sealing. Their service areas include Chantilly, Fairfax, Herndon, Oakton, Reston. Mike takes pride in his work, and he always follows a strict code of conduct that includes the use of quality paint, a clean workspace, and an honest, respectful approach to his customers.