24 Jan Repainting a Fairfax Grand Old Dame
Very old colonial houses hold an inherent beauty. When someone entrusts us at Home Works Painting to repaint a building that’s almost 100-years old, we feel a certain respect for the house. That was the case when a homeowner hired us to repaint their 82-year old Fairfax, Virginia home in December.
Every project we tackle, not just historic houses, is significant to us. As a professional painting contractor, we customize each project according to its needs. We treat every home with respect. However, something about being entrusted with a house that’s almost 100-years old makes us feel like we’re doing our part to help preserve history.
What we did in this grand old dame:
- Living room: We repainted walls, ceiling, baseboards, doors, door frames, crown molding, wainscoting, fireplace mantle, bookshelves, windows, window frames, stair risers, and spindles.
- Family room and back stairs: We repainted walls, ceiling, baseboards, fireplace mantle, doors, door frames, windows, window frames, spindles, and stair risers, as well as drywall repairs. We also installed and painted crown molding and wainscoting.
- Paint (Interior) – Sherwin Williams
- Walls – Sherwin Williams Duration Home – Flat, Matte, or Satin (2 Coats)
- Ceilings – Sherwin Williams ProMar Ceiling Flat (2 Coats)
- Trim/Doors – Sherwin Williams ProClassic Semi-Gloss (2 Coats)
Interior preparation included:
We are meticulous with preparation before we begin painting any project. Without careful prep work, you risk compromising the integrity of the new paintwork, making it more likely to flake or peel in the future.
- Proper prep always includes covering and protecting surrounding areas, including floors and furniture.
- If there are any stress cracks and nail pops, we repair them with fiberglass joint tape, block, skim, and sand.
- Any glossy surfaces, including trim, are also sanded and cleaned to ensure proper paint adhesion.
- We caulk all wood trim work as needed.
- We will apply an oil-based sealer to water stains and tannin wood stains.
- Lastly, we will clean up all work areas and remove all debris.
If you would like to speak to us about a project in your home, whether it’s 100-years old or new construction, we’d be happy to do a free consultation. At Home Works Painting, we have 20-years of experience in the North Virginia region, building our reputation on reliability and high-quality performance.
Mike Katounas is the owner of Home Works Painting, a painting business in Northern Virginia. He has over 15 years of experience in residential interior and exterior painting, drywall installation/repair, carpentry, wallpaper removal, power washing, commercial painting, color consultation, and staining/sealing. Their service areas include Chantilly, Fairfax, Herndon, Oakton, Reston. Mike takes pride in his work, and he always follows a strict code of conduct that includes the use of quality paint, a clean workspace, and an honest, respectful approach to his customers.